Thursday, February 26, 2009

Walmart, Inc.

I plan to write my mid-term research paper on Walmart, Inc. Walmart is known to have numerous lawsuits, and "mishaps." For example the day after Thanksgiving, also known as Black Friday, there was a stampede of people who busted down the Walmart doors for bargain prices killing a man in his thirties. Through this English class, I have also heard of a film called Walmart: The Movie. I would like to view this movie and learn more about the oversea factories, the sweatshops, and the working conditions. Through word of mouth, I have also heard that this film is very informative, and brings about many arguments against Walmart, Inc. I would like to further investigate, learn about this corporations lawsuits, "mishaps," and what really happens behind Walmart's closed doors.

I will support my arguments based on the reliable sources I plan to obtain. Walmart, Inc. would be a hard topic to look up through a basic search engine because Walmart being the giant business it is, there would mostly adds and shop online information. So as discussed in class, I plan to use google-scholar, and a variety of the schools databases, which I have not used before. Although I am not positive, I would like to believe that my main source will be Walmart: The Movie, but by no means, limited to that.

The overall points that I would like to make, are not yet decided. I have not currently done enough research on Walmart, Inc. to know the specific points I would like to make. I can guess that most of my points will not be for this corporation, but I do plan to look at this from two points of view. I chose to write about Walmart, Inc. because it is such a frequently talked about corporation. Not only does Walmart have astounding low prices, they also have sweatshops, lawsuit, and movies being made about them. The goal I have for writing this paper would be for me to form an opinion strong enough to convince my audience if Walmart, Inc. is good for this society, and other societies around the world. In addition, does the good of Walmart outweigh the downsides? I plan to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment